Sunday 11 March 2012

Growing Local 2012

On February 23-25 in Winnipeg the Growing Local conference was held. This is a great opportunity to network and learn about local food issues, and what you can do to support local food in Manitoba. This can be done by lending your voice to food issues, supporting local producers, or growing your own food. Food issues matter to all of us!

I did a gardening 101 presentation on the 24th, I was really nervous but it went really well. I am glad I got to share some of my passion for gardening with others who are interested in increasing their food security. The workshop focused on creating a healthy environment to create healthy food, dealing with problems preventitivly and keeping in mind while gardening we need to do whats best for us. Take in information from others, assess it in relation to our needs, and implement methods that will work for our style of gardening.

I believe in growing and eating food that is healthy for us because it is grown in a healthy environment. A healthy environment means keeping out soil healthy, not spraying chemical and pesticides to supplement sick plants grown in dead soil.

I am taking the idea of eating local healthy food a step further and creating a personal food policy. This was an idea brought up by Sarah McGregor (Assembly of First Nations) the presenter in the Food Policy for First Nations sessions at the Growing Local Conference. A food policy is a set of rules governing food, a personal food policy is a set of rules you set for yourself around food. I will be posting my personal food policy and documenting my challenges and triumphs as I work to follow the policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment